Wednesday, February 18, 2009

"Yoy!" By Jamie

"Yoy!" is typically the first thing you hear when you come into Mom and Dad's house, and it has served as a way to find each other while snowboarding or at the firework show at the Club. "Yoy!" has frustrated brother-in-laws who struggle with the proper timber, and confused visitors and neighbors. "Yoy!" is a strange sound created by strange people.

So where did it come from? For my addition to Dad's b-day blog, I wanted to do some research on the expression "Yoy!" and how it came to bless our lives with its joyous and manly ring. I had my own memory of how it evolved, but my brain tends to remember things in a somewhat exaggerated manner, so I did some research. I called Ben and he told me, "I think that “Yoy!” was a you and Steve thing." He couldn't remember why we did it. So I called Steve and we both agreed on the following brief history of "Yoy!":

"Yoy!" began as "Oi!" and was plagiarized from the following commercial released in 1987 by Energizer Corp.:



Steve and I fiddled around with "Oi!" until it became "Yoy!" It was our beloved father, however, that changed "Yoy!" into the long drawn out "Youuuuuuuuuy!" that we know today.

No comments:

Post a Comment